LRIS Statistics 2016 – 2017
$300,000 in fees for members
The Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) of the Akron Bar Association offers referrals in Summit, Medina, Portage, and Wayne counties. The LRIS service is approved by the American Bar Association and exceeds the standards for the Ohio Supreme Court. Membership in our service is an opportunity for you to enhance your client base and bolster your profitability while providing legal services to the public.
How Does it Work?
The LRIS service begins by collecting the client’s name, address and phone number as well as a brief description of the legal situation, in addition to a $30 fee (waived for tort/negligence, Social Security, unemployment, Workers’ Compensation, malpractice and wrongful death cases). After making the referral, the client is eligible to receive a 30 minute consultation with the referred panel attorney, either in person or over the phone. If the attorney is retained, the initial $200 in attorney fees received is kept by the attorney. The Akron Bar receives 15% of any fees received after the initial $200.
Qualification to Participate in LRIS:
- A applicant must be an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law.
- A applicant must be in good standing with the Supreme Court of Ohio and the Akron Bar Association.
- A applicant must submit a complete LRIS application, which includes the insurance declaration page and appropriate payment.
- A applicant shall show proof of this insurance by providing the LRIS department with a copy of his/her malpractice insurance cover sheet and/or page(s) showing areas of law covered. Coverage must remain in effect throughout the duration of work performed upon a referral matter.
- Each attorney must meet the experience criteria requirements as listed in the application. Attorneys who do not meet this criteria must have a mentor, who is a member of the LRIS program.
- Administrative, Education, & Government
- Business & Commercial
- Civil Rights
- Consumer & Bankruptcy
- Criminal & Traffic
- Disability Benefits
- Domestic Relations
- Estate Planning, Probate, & Elder
- Insurance Law
- Intellectual Property
- Juvenile Support, Custody, & Visitation
- Labor & Employment
- Real Estate & Foreclosure
- Small Business & Nonprofits
- Personal Injury, Negligence, & Torts
- Wrongful Death
LRIS Annual Costs:
Akron Bar Members:
- $100 annually | 1-3 panels
- $125 annually | 4 panels
- $150 annually | 5 panels
- $200 annually | 1-3 panels
- $225 annually | 4 panels
- $250 annually | 5 panels
- LRIS Code of Regulations
- Printable LRIS Application
- Printable Acknowledgement of Understanding (please sign & return this form upon retaining a referral)
- Printable Modest Means Referral Program Packet
- Percentage Fees Calculator
- Akron Bar’s LRIS Director | (330) 436-0117