This committee searches for diversity opportunities in the Bar Association. It monitors a minority clerkship program in conjunction with the Law School and a variety of law firms, assists with the statewide Law and Leadership Initiative program, recognizes employers in the community for their commitment to diversity in employment practices, hosts the Sidebar event which specifically acknowledges the racial and ethnic differences in bench and bar, works with the Summit County Juvenile Court Disproportionate Minority Contact Committee and hosts the annual Minority Law Student Reception.
The Diversity Committee seeks nominations for the Annual Diversity Award, to be given as part of the Law Week Luncheon. This award will be given to a business or organization that demonstrates a commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce. The deadline for nominations is typically in February of each year.
Nominated organization must have met one or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrate a consistent pattern of the organization’s commitment to the recruitment, retention and promotion of individuals of underrepresented populations;
- Cultivate and promote diversity initiatives that establish and foster a more inclusive and equitable work environment;
- Promote and facilitate equitable education and social engagement with and between people of varying ethnic or religious backgrounds, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and/or physical and mental capabilities;
- Exhibit visionary and insightful leadership to confront and resolve inequities through strategic decision-making, allocation of resources, and establishment of priorities;
- Outline defined goals, actions steps and accomplishments toward achieving a work environment that recognizes, promotes and encourages a diverse workforce at all levels throughout an organization;
- Create new and progressive best practices that support diversity and inclusion goals.
Director of Membership