Become a Notary Public
Changes are coming to Ohio's Notary Law on September 20, 2019.
You may have heard that there are changes coming to Ohio’s notary public commissioning process beginning September 20. Don’t worry the Akron Bar Association is still your place for education and testing under the new laws. We’ve partnered with the Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo and Ohio State bar associations to make the process seamless for you. With our statewide reach and notary experience you can turn to us through our new subsidiary Ohio Notary Services, LLC at www.becomeanohionotary.com. Lastly, if you want to become an Ohio e-notary public, Ohio Notary Services, LLC is THE ONLY source authorized by the Ohio Secretary of State to offer education and testing under the new laws.
Starting September 20, please visit www.becomeanohionotary.com for all of your notary needs. This is how the process will work:
- Apply to become an Ohio notary or e-notary via the Ohio Secretary of State’s Notary website at https://www.sos.state.oh.us/notary/ This now includes a formal criminal records check as required by law. Details can be found at the Secretary's website.
- Next visit, www.becomeanohionotary.com. Create an account and select whether you want to take an in-person class and test or if you wish to do both online. Schedule an in-person class/test or immediately begin the online process. (Steps 1 and 2 can be done simultaneously!)
- Attend the class or watch the online video. Once finished you will take the test either in-person or online. Once you pass, we’ll alert the Secretary of State who will send your notary commission to you once they approve your application.
- Visit www.becomeanohionotary.com for your notary supplies needs.
Renewing a notary commission may begin up to 90 days in advance. Visit the Secretary of State website to begin the process then go to www.becomeanohionotary.com and get started with the new renewal class.
The new notary law also established fixed fees for acquiring or renewing your notary commission:
- New applicants (non-attorney)
- New applicants (attorney)
- Renewals (non-attorney)