Thank you for visiting the Lawyer Referral & Information Service portion of our website! Here you will find some general information on joining our service as well as links to a membership application and other helpful tools.
Why Join LRIS?
The Lawyer Referral Service of the Akron Bar Association offers referrals in Summit and surrounding counties. The LRIS is American Bar Association approved, exceeds the standards for the Ohio Supreme Court, and is LRSconnect accredited. Membership in our service is an opportunity for you to enhance your client base and support the Akron Bar Association, while also serving the public.
How Does it Work?
The referral service begins by collecting the client’s name, address and phone number as well as a brief description of the legal situation, in addition to a $30 fee (waived for Tort/Negligence, Social Security, Unemployment, Workers’ Compensation, Malpractice & Wrongful Death situations). After making the referral, the client is eligible to receive a ½ hour consultation with the referred panel attorney, either in person or over the phone. If the attorney is retained, the initial $200.00 in attorney fees received is considered a deductible. LRIS receives 15% of any fees received after the initial $200.00.
How Do I Qualify to be listed on the Referral Panel?
- A lawyer must be actively engaged in the practice of law and be in good standing with the Akron Bar Association and the Ohio Supreme Court.
- A lawyer makes written application to LRIS by furnishing the information called for on the application, including the insurance company, the policy number, and expiration date of his/her malpractice insurance. The applicant shall show proof of this insurance by providing the LRIS with a copy of his/her malpractice insurance cover sheet and/or page(s) showing areas of law covered. Coverage must remain in effect throughout the duration of work performed upon a referral matter. An annual fee for the attorney must accompany the application.
- Every year a lawyer on the referral list must submit a renewal in the form of the annual fee, evidence of his/her most recent malpractice insurance coverage, and the lawyer must update his/her referral application.
- Each lawyer must meet the experience criteria requirements as listed on the application. Attorneys not meeting the criteria must use a mentor, who is also a member of the LRIS.
What are the Costs to Join?
LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICE MEMBERSHIP COSTS FOR AKRON BAR MEMBERS:
1-3 Panels = $100 annually
4 Panels = $125 annually
5 Panels = $150 annually
LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICE MEMBERSHIP COSTS FOR NON-AKRON BAR MEMBERS:
1-3 Panels = $200 annually
4 Panels = $225 annually
5 Panels = $250 annually
Upon submission of your payment, you will be contacted by the Lawyer Referral Service to complete additional information. Have questions? Contact us!
- Administrative & Government Law
- Benefits & Social Security
- Business & Commercial Law
- Civil Rights
- Consumer & Bankruptcy Law
- Criminal & Traffic Law
- Domestic Relations
- Elder Law
- Entertainment Law
- Environmental Law
- Financial Law
- Juvenile Law
- Labor & Employment Law
- Real Estate & Foreclosure
- Wrongful Death
- LRIS Membership Application (printable version)
- LRIS Code of Regulations
- Acknowledgement Of Understanding (to be signed & returned to the LRIS upon a retained referral)
- LRIS Percentage Fees Calculator
- Modest Means Referral Program Information & Application